Daryl “D-TRAIN” Smith, president and CEO of D-TRAINED, Inc., and featured trainer for the Jordan Training Tour, coaches up two lower body exercises that improve balance and stability for the hardwood.
According to D-TRAIN, the squat is one movement that mimics on-court plays, like going up for a rebound or a jump shot or getting down to play defense. The other major movement is the lunge, because it simulates a first-step action.
Smith says, “We want to work on improving performance, preventing injury and develop the body from a functional standpoint. If you’re constantly on machines and doing open-chain [exercises], once you get on the ground and your body has to overcome gravity forces, your body becomes more susceptible to injury.”
Step away from the Nautilus machines and hop on board with D-TRAIN, as he runs you through two lower body exercises.
Med Ball Squat and Push
• Start in athletic stance holding med ball at chest level
• Extend arms and push ball away from body while lowering into squat position
• Explode up and bring med ball back to chest
Sets/Reps: 3x30 seconds
Coaching Points: Squat as low as possible // Keep weight on heels // Explode up on heels from squat position // Exhale on way up to start position // Try to perform 30 reps in 30 seconds
D-TRAIN: “This [works] our hips, quads, glutes and hamstrings.”
Clock Lunge Series
• Stand up straight holding med ball at chest level
• Step out as far as possible into lunge position and touch ball to ground
• Keeping back foot on ground, push back to start position
• Turn and pivot to right (3 o’clock) and repeat movement
• Push back to start and perform lunges to 6 o’clock, then 9 o’clock
• Perform clockwise set and repeat with opposite leg
• Repeat counterclockwise for both legs
Sets/Reps: 3x each leg, each direction (clockwise and counterclockwise equals one set)
Coaching Points: Step out as far as possible // Stay balanced throughout set // Keep back foot planted // Perform lunges to 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock positions
D-TRAIN: “The Clock Lunge Series forces your body to be stable while using your primary movers and your stabilizer muscles.”
Get fitted in the freshest basketball shoes and basketball clothing, including the latest Jordan shoes.