What Makes Food Unhealthy?
Q: What are healthy foods versus unhealthy foods?
- Lean protein—turkey, skinless chicken, fish
- Unsaturated fats—olives and olive oil, fish oil, organic peanut butter, hummus, avocados, omega-3 fatty acids
- Whole grain carbs—whole-wheat pasta, brown rice, whole-wheat bread, chia seeds
- Fiber—oatmeal, fruits, vegetables
- Simple sugars
- Enriched, bleached or refined flour
- Syrups like high-fructose corn syrup (corn sugar)
- Saturated fats—four-legged animal fat (like cows), two-legged animal skin (like chicken), coconut and palm oils
- Trans fats
Mehmet Oz and Mike Roizen, authors of four New York Times #1 bestsellers on health, and Kristin Kirkpatrick, a Cleveland Clinic nutritionist and regular guest on the Dr. Oz Show, are the YOU Docs, STACK’s experts on health and sports performance.