The DIY Athlete: Create an Eye Pillow to Keep Your Vision Sharp
June 29, 2012 | Kelly Sundstrom
During competition, athletes use their eyes more than they think. The unyielding concentration and constant commitment to sharp visual awareness can ultimately cause serious eyestrain for athletes. One way to reduce the strain is to use an aromatic eye pillow.
When placed on the eyes, an aromatherapy pillow relaxes the eye muscles, subsequently reducing eyestrain caused by extended periods of elevated visual concentration.
Save money by making your own aromatherapy eye pillow, using soft fabric and lavender essential oil.
- Silk or satin fabric
- Flax seeds, 1 cup
- Lavender essential oil
- Thread, sewing needle, pins
- Cut a piece of soft fabric to make a panel six inches wide and 12 inches long.
- Fold the panel in half width-wise, keeping the right side together and lining up the edges.
- Pin around the doubled edges using straight pins. Leave a seam allowance of 1/4 inch to prevent the seams from separating after use. Leave one of the short ends unpinned.
- Thread a sewing needle, and knot the end.
- Sew around the panel using a chain stitch and following the line of straight pins. Remove the straight pins as you sew.
- Turn the form right side out.
- Place a funnel into the open end of the sewn form and fill the form with the flax seeds. Remove the funnel.
- Add 10 drops of lavender essential oil into the pillow form through the opening.
- Turn the edges of the opening under by 1/4 inch, pin the opening and sew the edge, removing the pins as you go.
- Keep the aromatic eye pillow in your sports bag for use after games.