Must See Conditioning Videos
STACK Fitness Weekly: Interval Sprint Training
USA Softball Conditioning Circuit
Vanderbilt Baseball Sledge Hammer Swing to Tire
Non-traditional workouts are a great way to increase strength, power and endurance, while also adding a new twist to your training. In Part 1 of this series, we discussed common pieces of non-traditional training equipment and how they improve performance. In Part 2, we provide two complete workouts that you can incorporate into your training program.
This two-day non-traditional program is split into upper and lower-body segments. Since you are using non-traditional implements, each exercise mirrors athletic movements and will translate to improved performance on the field.
This program can complement a traditional off-season weight-training routine by replacing an upper- and lower-body workout. Or, you can solely perform the non-traditional workouts by repeating them twice a week. Since these workouts will fatigue your body, it's essential to rest for one day between workouts.
- Start with only the weight of the cart. As your strength improves, have a partner sit or stand on the cart.
- Start with only the weight of the sled. Add plates as you increase strength.
- Adjust the time of the sledgehammer and rope exercises to increase the challenge
- If you have access to different tires, adjust the size as you increase strength. If you only have one tire, simply increase reps or time.
- Start with two sets of each exercise.
- Dynamic Warm-Up
- Cart Low Row: 2-3x5
- Single-Arm Sled Row: 2-3x10 each arm
- Sled Chest Press: 2-3x10
- Sled Front Raise: 2-3x10
- Sled Triceps Press: 2-3x10
- Sled Bicep Curls: 2-3x10
- Sledgehammer Slams: 2x25-30 seconds both sides
- Sled Twists: 2-3x10 each side
- Sled Crunches: 2-3x10
- Ropes: 2x25-30 seconds each version
- Two Arms Together
- Two Arms Alternating
- Two Arms Cross
- Single-Arm Right
- Single-Arm Left
- Dynamic Warm-Up
- Cart Push: 2-3x30 yards
- Cart Pulls: 2-3x30 yards
- Uphill Sled Push: 2-3x30 yards
- Uphill Sled Pull: 2-3x30 yards
- Single Tire Flips: 2-3x5
- Triple Tire Flips: 2-3x3 (one rep is three flips)
- Sled Plank Pulls: 2-3xlength of rope, each side
For an intense conditioning circuit with non-traditional workout equipment, check out Herschel Walker's MMA workout.