Must See Strength Training Videos
Volleyball by its nature depends on quick and explosive movements. For that reason alone, plyometric exercises are especially valuable to volleyball athletes. They enhance muscle elasticity and help athletes maximize power production.
When designing an effective plyometric program for volleyball, you need to take into account the sport's requirements for vertical power, lateral agility and quickness. Below are three plyometric exercises to help up-and-coming volleyball players reach their full potential out on the court.
Remember, plyometric exercises are just one piece in the training puzzle. They should be combined with proper strength, flexibility, core, and agility workouts to build a superior all-around volleyball athlete.
Basic Plyometric Concept
Depth Jump to Box Jump
The key is to make the transition from the first box to the second as quickly as possible, with no heel contact on the ground. This exercise helps volleyball players understand and use the basic plyometric concept of training quick explosive movements.
- Start on a box 8 to 12 inches high positioned near a second, higher box
- Step off the first box with both feet landing at the same time
- Quickly jump off the balls of your feet up to the higher box
- Try to land in a solid squatting position, both feet making full contact
Lateral Plyometric Concept
Lateral box jumps to vert jumps
This exercise will help front line players make quick and agile movements with a fast transition to a blocking motion.
- Start on one side of a box 8 to 12 inches high
- Jump laterally on top of the box and continue to jump off the other side
- Quickly transition to a vertical jump as high as possible and as quickly as possible
Vertical Plyometric Concept
Approach Box Jumps
This exercise is designed to allow hitters to apply plyometric pre-loading concepts to their sport-specific hitting motion. The box should be at a height that is challenging, yet safe to do repeatedly.
- Start some distance from the box
- Take your volleyball-specific approach jump and leap on top of the box
- Your landing should resemble an outside hitter landing after delivering a wicked spike