Must See Volleyball Videos
Volleyball is based on jumping, agility and explosive movement. Regardless of your age or skill level, if you want to get better at these skills, you need to regularly perform a plyometric program.
Plyometrics are drills that involve fast and explosive movements, which increase power. The more power you have, the higher you will be able to jump for a spike and the quicker you will be able to react to an opponent's shot. Plus, these volleyball plyometric drills are a fun and challenging change of pace from the typical daily practice routine.
The Depth Jump is a great vertical drill for volleyball, because players explode off both feet during their approach to the net.
- Assume athletic position on knee-high box
- Step off box with both feet
- Land on ground in quarter-squat position
- Immediately triple extend through hips, knees and ankles to jump as high as possible
- Land softly on box in quarter-squat position
- Repeat for specified reps
The Single-Arm Toss works your thigh muscles and core to keep you balanced. It also develops shoulder strength to keep your joints strong and healthy.
- Assume athletic position with small med ball between feet
- Squat down and grab med ball with one hand
- Explode up out of squat and throw med ball straight into air
- Catch med ball on bounce; repeat with opposite arm
- Continue in alternating fashion for specified reps
This explosive movement increases power when moving forward, which is essential for attacking the net. Plus, it improves endurance, critical over the course of a long match.
- Place five to 10 hurdles or cones in a straight line, one and a half feet apart
- Assume athletic position at first hurdle facing course
- Hop over each hurdle as quickly as possible
- Continue until all hurdles are cleared
Sets/Reps: 3 sets
This is by far my favorite plyo drill. During the course of the drill, if a player touches his or her heels to the ground, he or she must do Push-Ups.
- Assume serve-receive position with weight on toes
- Quickly step from one foot to the other; do not let heels touch ground
- Repeat for specified time
Sets/Duration: 3x60 seconds