As a student athlete, you barely make it to school on time, let alone prepare a healthy three-course breakfast. Unfortunately, if you decide to skip breakfast, you’ll suffer the consequences. When you're in a hurry, you can still fuel up for a stellar performance on the field or in the gym with these eight fast food options.
If you have the time to stop in
- Subway Egg and Cheese Sandwich: Customize this sandwich by choosing egg whites over eggs, skipping the cheese in favor of heart-healthy avocado, adding extra protein with turkey or ham and piling on the vegetables. However you like your Egg and Cheese sandwich, you can't go wrong as long as you stick with the 9-grain wheat English muffin, avoid the sauces and skip the pepperoni/bacon add-ons. Meal totals for the egg white version (with black forest ham, avocado, spinach, tomatoes and green peppers): 210 calories, 7g of fat, 26g carbs and 14g of protein
- Starbucks Protein Bistro Box: This boxed set of cage-free eggs, white cheddar cheese, peanut butter, multigrain muesli bread, apples and grapes delivers the perfect balance of protein, complex carbs and healthy fats to help you power through your morning. Bonus: most of the items are easily storable for a healthy afternoon snack. Meal totals (entire box): 380 calories, 19g of fat, 37g carbs and 13g of protein.
- Jamba Juice Perfect Meals Make It Light! Strawberries Wild Smoothie and Steel-Cut Oatmeal with Banana: Notorious for its sugary creations, Jamba Juice started working with the Healthy Living Council and Serena Williams to create healthy choices made simple. Pair a regular-sized lightened Strawberries Wild Smoothie with a cup of steel-cut oats topped with banana (skip the brown sugar), and you're good until lunch. Meal totals: (for smoothie) 160 calories, 0g fat, 37g carbs and 4g protein; (for oatmeal without brown sugar) 240 calories, 3g of fat, 50g carbs and 9g protein.
Only time for the drive thru
- McDonald's Egg McMuffin or Scrambled Eggs and English Muffin: You can make Mickey D's famous Egg McMuffin (300 calories, 12g fat, 30g carbs and 19g protein) healthier by ordering each item separately to cut down on sodium, calories and fat. When choosing either the Egg McMuffin or scrambled eggs and English muffin, ask for "no margarine." Most restaurants will spray on liquid butter for taste, but it's not necessary. Meal total for scrambled eggs and English Muffin: 220 calories, 6g of fat, 28g of carb and 12g of protein.
- Burger King's 3-Piece French Toast Sticks: Who doesn't love French toast every once in awhile? This option is a much better indulgence then that super-sweet cinnamon bun from the school cafeteria. Stick to the three-piece value menu version, order a glass of milk and make this meal an occasional indulgence. Meal totals for French Toast Sticks with syrup and milk: 440 calories, 11g of fat, 72 g of carbs and 12g of protein.
- Dunkin' Donuts DDSmart Menu: Home to some of the healthiest breakfast options in the fast food industry, DD has come a long way from the doughnut. Their new DDSmart menu boasts a variety of tasty choices. A STACK favorite is the Egg White Turkey Sausage Flatbread Wrap, which comes in at 280 calories, 8g of fat, 32g of carbs and 18g of protein.
- Einstein Nova Loxs & Bagel Sandwich: Smoked Salmon is full of heart-healthy fats and Omega-3s, which every athlete needs to fuel performance. Thanks to Einstein's whole-wheat thin bagel slices and reduced-fat cream cheese, you can enjoy a gourmet creation that perfectly meets your nutritional needs. Meal totals (no onion, tomato or capers): 322 calories, 15g of fat, 28 g of carbs and 18g of protein.
Make better choices at your favorite fast food restaurants with these articles: