Are You Soft or Ripped? Try This Program to Build Muscle
February 22, 2013 | Chris Hitchko
Must See Strength Training Videos
World-Class Workouts With Todd Durkin: How to Build a Strong and Durable Neck
Joey Votto Upper-Body Strength Workout
Michael Johnson Performance Series: The 40-Yard Dash Drive Phase
Are you soft or ripped? I'm sure you at least aspire to be ripped. Unfortunately, many people who work out frequently have difficulty attaining a sculpted body.
Our society is full of heavily promoted fitness workouts that claim to help you look like the models you see in their ads. If these claims were accurate, do you think a majority of Americans would be classified as overweight? Probably not.
I'm sorry boys and girls, but society lies to us all the time, especially when it comes to losing weight and gaining muscle. Let me lay down some of the rules of getting ripped.
- If you want to stay soft, do Cardio // If you want to be ripped, do Sprints
- If you want to stay soft, do Leg Presses // If you want to be ripped, do Broad Jumps
- If you want to stay soft, do abs three to five time per week // If you want to be ripped, do legs three times per week
- If you want to stay soft, lift light weight (except beginners) // If you want to be ripped, lift heavy weights
- If you want to stay soft, keep doing the same program // If you want to be ripped, change up your program every two to four weeks
Try the following program, which incorporates each of the "jacked" principles I enumerated above.
- Complex 1: Deadlifts: 5x5 + Depth Jumps: 5x10 (24-inch or smaller box). Rest for 2 minutes between sets.
- Complex 2: Bench Press: 5x5 + Clap Push-Ups: 5x10. Rest for 2 minutes between sets.
- Complex 3: Weighted Pull-Ups: 5x5 + Med Ball Slams: 5x10. Rest for 2 minutes between sets.
- Complex 4: Military Presses: 5x5 + Med Ball Press Ups: 5x10. Rest for 2 minutes between sets.
Do each exercise for five sets in a scheme of 20, 15, 10, 15 and 20 reps. Rest for 30 seconds between sets.
Perform the following exercises in a circuit. Repeat five times.
- Treadmill Sprints: 20 seconds
- Vertical Jumps 10
- Push-Ups: Max
- Pull-Ups: Max
- Pike Push-Ups: Max
Make sure to follow us for videos and "like" us on Facebook.