Matt Damon Returning to the 'Bourne' Franchise?
March 3, 2013 | Shay Mathews
After abandoning the Bourne franchise in 2007, following the release of The Bourne Ultimatum, Matt Damon is now open to the idea of reprising his role as Jason Bourne, reports suggest.
Last year, the actor made news by criticizing Tony Gilroy, the writer and director of 2012's The Bourne Legacy. But during a recent interview with Hollywood Reporter, Universal Pictures executive Adam Fogelson announced that Damon has displayed interest in returning to the franchise. Of course, such a deal would require the return of director Paul Greengrass, who worked on the sequels Supremacy and Ultimatum.
"Matt [Damon] has talked about the possibility of coming back, and we totally respect that and are excited if and when he wants to have conversations," said Fogelson, who also admitted that the last sequel, Legacy, featuring Jeremy Renner, didn't do as well as its predecessors.
"Yeah, [Legacy] didn't perform the way the last one did. It also didn't cost what the last one did. It performed more along the lines of how the first one did," said Fogelson. "I absolutely see us doing more Bourne, 100 percent yes."
During a December interview with Deadline, Damon revealed that he can't fathom what Bourne could possibly tackle next in his storyline. He also discredited the idea of Bourne teaming up with Renner's Aaron Cross in a future movie. "Paul [Greengrass] and I have been talking about it for years. And we can't quite see what the movie would be," he said.
The Bourne Legacy (2012) brought in $276,144,750 at the box office. The Matt Damon-helmed Bourne Ultimatum (2007) scored $442,824,138 worldwide.