Whoever said slabs of meat were only meant for dinner probably never made it deep into the playoffs. Take a cue from the pros and try a meat-and-nut breakfast. Packed with the protein and healthy unsaturated fats that muscles need to repair and grow, it also stabilizes blood sugar levels and sets the pace for both insulin and neurotransmitters’ releases during the rest of the day—and for laser focus and agility, says Scot Prohaska, who trains NFL players, MMA fighters and Olympians. Get your brain and muscles firing on all cylinders throughout the day with these five breakfast power combos.
- 1-2 buffalo meat patties + 1 handful of macadamia nuts
- 1 large venison steak + 1 handful of cashew nuts
- 1-2 lean turkey burgers + 1 handful of almonds
- 2 lean ground beef patties + 1 handful of Brazil nuts
- 2 chicken breasts + 1 handful of hazelnuts