Overcrowded weight room? No available squat racks or leg press machines? Before abandoning your leg workout routine and heading out the door, consider the following two convenient advanced leg workouts, done without weights, for building sports performance-enhancing size, strength, power, endurance, speed and balance.
- Perform dynamic warm-up movements (e.g., Multidirectional Lunges and Arm Circles) prior to your workouts, and cool down afterwards with lower- and upper-body stretches for greater flexibility and range of motion.
- Hydrate before, during and after workouts.
- Perform workouts on non-consecutive days for adequate recovery.
- Alternate workouts for variety.
- Sets/Reps: 1x10
- Rest: 30-45 seconds between combo-exercise superset in both workouts.
RELATED: The Simplest Bodyweight Workout Ever
- Bench or chair
- Water bottle
- Timer (optional)
Squat Thrusts/Mountain Climber Combo
- Assume a Push-Up position.
- Thrust your legs forward toward your arms and back 10 times.
- Immediately do 60 seconds of Mountain Climbers.
Isometric Wall Squat/Jump-Squat Combo
- Descend into a squat position with your back flat against a wall and your arms extended laterally at shoulder level.
- Hold this position for 60 seconds.
- Return to an upright position away from the wall and quickly perform 10 Jump-Squats, jumping as high as possible.
- After your 10th rep, hold the position for 10 seconds.
Single-Leg Squats/Sprints-in-Place Combo
- Perform 10 Single-Leg Squats with each leg.
- Superset with 30 seconds of sprinting in place as fast as possible, leaning slightly forward, explosively driving your knees toward your waist and rapidly alternating your arms forward and backward close to your body.
RELATED: The "All You" Bodyweight Workout
Step-Ups/Walking Side Lunges Combo
- Place your right foot atop a bench or chair and extend your arms overhead.
- Press off your right foot and drive your left foot off the floor, bringing your left knee up toward your waist, and back down 10 times.
- Immediately repeat Step-Ups with your left foot atop the bench or chair.
- Without rest, do 10 Lateral Lunges with your arms extended at shoulder level to your left, then 10 to your right.
Bulgarian Split Squat/Isometric Wall Squat Combo
- Place your left foot behind you atop a bench or chair (left knee slightly bent) and your right leg in a forward lunge position with your arms hanging at your sides.
- Slowly lower your left and right knees toward the floor and until your fingertips touch the floor.
- Pause 1 second and quickly return to start position.
- After 10 reps, repeat with your right foot atop the bench or chair for 10 reps.
- Immediately place your back flat against a wall with your arms extended in front of you at chest level and lower into a squat position.
- Hold for 60 seconds.
Walking Forward Lunge/Burpees Combo
- With your arms extended overhead, alternately lunge forward 10 times with each leg.
- Superset with 10 Burpees.
Mountain Climbers/Single-Leg Hops-in-Place Combo
- After 60 seconds performing Mountain Climbers, superset with 10 Single-Leg Hops in place with each leg.
Walking Reverse Lunges/Sprints in Place Combo
- With your arms extended laterally at shoulder level, alternately lunge backward 10 times with each leg.
- Superset with Sprints in place for 30 seconds.
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock