STACK's Top 10 Health & Fitness Apps for Athletes
It got us thinking: "Who's more active than STACKletes?" So we pulled from Greatist's list the apps we thought best suited athletes. Whether you have an iPhone or you're rocking an Android, we've got you covered with some of the best apps for tech-savvy athletes.
- Fitness Builder: Fitness Builder aims to be your portable personal trainer by allowing you to customize a muscle-building workout session. It contains more than 5,600 instructional videos, access to a live personal trainer, fitness calculators and progress reports. It also syncs to Fitnessbuilder.com for a free month subscription to Fitness Builder Plus, Pro or PT for even more options. The Fitness Builder app is available for free download on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, as well as Android devices.
- Nike BOOM: Nothing motivates a sweatfest like a good song, which is why Nike built this app to allow you to sync your music for a more dynamic workout. Choose your workout, duration, music and motivational Nike athletes. The app is available for free on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
- StrongLifts 5x5: Ever wonder how much weight you should be lifting to achieve your goals? StrongLifts offers a simple guide to strength training with professionally designed workouts, complete with instructions on how much weight you should be lifting. You can also compare your current session to earlier ones. Ditch the pen and paper workout records. This app is available for free on the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.
- Workout Trainer: Advertised as the fun way to stay healthy and fit, Workout Trainer offers personal training advice with photo, video and audio instruction. With workout options for everything from yoga to weightlifting, it's sure to have a program that's right for you. The app is available for free on the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android devices; and it links with Apple TV to make it easy to work out in your living room.
- Runtastic: Here is Greatist's description, "If she wanted to run this town, Rihanna should have used this app." Clever, huh? You can measure your time, distance and calorie burn, track progress and send live updates and photos. Not a runner? No problem. Use the app for walking, biking or other sports. Runtastic retails for $5.99 on iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android, Blackberry, Windows, and Bada.
- MapMyRun: Record your routes, speed, distance, pace and calories burned. Then rub it into your friends' faces by sharing it on Twitter and Facebook. Options are available for running, walking, hiking, biking and triathlons. And it's free on iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android and Blackberry.
- Fooducate: We've already introduced you to this invaluable grocery tool. But we had to include it on this list, because it's such a great way to find the healthiest option. Simply pick a food, scan the barcode and get the scoop on the nutrients inside. You can also read user reviews to find out if the product tastes as good as it supposedly is for you. Available for free on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, as well as Android devices.
- Meal Snap: Food tracking has never been easier. Take a picture of the meal you're about to eat, and the app estimates its nutritional values. Be forewarned: it might make you rethink that Cosmic Brownie. Available on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad for $2.99.
- Zombies, Run: Turn your next run into an adventure. Choose from 30 different missions and stories, put on your headphones, and try to outrun the zombies as you hear them getting closer and closer to you. The app, which is available on the iPhone and iPod Touch, is a little pricey at $7.99; but it features enough missions to keep you busy for a long time, and the program's creators are always working on new stories.
- Sportaneous: Ever want to start a pick-up game but have no one to play with? Be one less lonely athlete by logging in and finding local sports activities in your area—that is, if your area happens to be New York City, San Diego or Philadelphia. If you live anywhere else in the country, take heart: Sportaneous plans to expand soon. The app is available for free on the iPhone and iPod Touch.