Chocolate Milk after Workouts
Recently, pro athletes and top nutritionists have been touting the benefits of drinking chocolate milk after workouts. (Drink Muscle-Building Chocolate Milk and Join Team ReFuel.) Once thought of as an indulgence best left behind in middle school, low-fat chocolate milk has now been shown in research studies to be a simple, effective and natural way to refuel the body.
Natural? No you didn't misread. Low-fat chocolate milk naturally contains many of the same essential nutrients that commercial recovery drinks add in the lab—including high-quality protein and electrolytes like calcium, potassium, sodium and magnesium.
Some studies suggest that drinking low-fat chocolate milk after a strenuous workout is more beneficial than drinking a carbohydrate sports drink; and that chocolate milk restores hydration levels, boosts power and improves training in subsequent sessions better than water. (Read Is Chocolate Milk the Best Post-Workout Drink for Athletes?)
- Is a natural source of high-quality whey protein, proven to help build lean muscle and promote fat loss
- Has the right carb-to-protein ratio (about 3:1), scientifically shown to refuel muscles
- Provides B vitamins for energy
- Contains fluids and electrolytes to help replenish what's lost in sweat
- Is cost-effective, great tasting and readily available
Enjoy quickly restoring your muscles to their peak potential. Make chocolate milk a part of your training plan. Chocolate milk after workouts can make a dramatic difference in how you feel and how you perform.