Are you tired of the same old conditioning workouts with all their jogging and sprinting? They may be effective, but let's be honest, they don't rouse much excitement.
You can break out of your tired routine by switching to the Performance U Metabolic Farmer's Walk Complex. It will improve your conditioning and your strength at the same time.
This complex is an ideal conditioning workout for two main reasons:
1. It's intense
Intensity refers to the amount of weight used, not the perceived difficulty of the workout. Alternating between Farmer's Walks and multi-joint exercises allows you to lift a lot of weight in a relatively short period of time, eliciting a great metabolic response.
2. It demands a sustained effort
One set of the complex takes more than a minute to complete, and you're working the entire time. Both your anaerobic and aerobic energy systems work to help you complete the set and recover before the next one.
Farmer's Walk Complex
We use the Farmers' Walk Complex as a finisher at the end of a strength training workout to improve conditioning. This is not for the faint of heart. Your muscles will burn, and you will gasp for air. But that means it's working!
- A pair of heavy dumbbells and a pair of lighter dumbbells, approximately 40 percent lighter than the heavy pair (e.g., 75 lbs. and 35 lbs.).
- Set-Up: Place two cones 20 to 25 yards apart.
- Place both pairs of dumbbells at the starting cone.
- Use the heavy dumbbells for the Farmer's Walks and the lighter dumbbells for the remaining exercises.
- Sets: 3-5
- Rest: 2-4 minutes
- Tempo: As fast as possible while maintaining perfect form.
- Station 1: DB Front Squats - 6-10 reps
- Station 2: Farmer's Walk - 40-50 yards
- Station 3: Overhead Press - 4-6 reps
- Station 4: Farmer's Walk - 40-50 yards
- Station 5: Bent-Over Rows - 4-6 reps
- Station 6: Farmer's Walk - 40-50 yards
- Station 7: Romanian Deadlifts - 8-13 reps