Whether you're in the stands or competing in the game, nothing is more satisfying than a cold sports drink to quench your thirst. Unfortunately for athletes on a budget, store-bought sports drinks are not cheap. The good news is that homemade drinks are a refreshing alternative. They not only save you money, they help you avoid unwanted dyes and preservatives.
Brand name sports drinks encourage fluid consumption with their sweet/tart flavor. So make sure your homemade drink is sweet enough to make hydration tasty. Get the flavor right, and all your teammates will be clamoring to try out your sports drink.
Homemade Sports Drink Instructions
- Begin with one quart of water
- Add ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Add ½ teaspoon salt
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar
- Mix ingredients well
- Flavor with lime, fresh mint, fruit juice, or cherry syrup (which you can make by boiling and reducing pitted cherries)
- Consider substituting agave nectar for sugar to reduce glucose levels.
- You may want to use bioplasma salts (available at your local health food store), since they are absorbed more rapidly.
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock