A key component of speed and change-of-direction ability is hip flexibility, which allows an athlete to achieve effective power angles and explode through the ground when cutting. It's no wonder that one of the fastest athletes in the NBA focuses on this athletic attribute.
During the off-season, Dwyane Wade performs dynamic movements to increase the range of motion through his hips and groin. "One of the issues [Dwyane] had last year was tightness in the hips, IT band and glute area," says Tim Grover, Dwyane's off-season strength coach. "So, between his simulated jumps, we need to make sure all of those areas are staying loose."
Superset this exercise with Dwyane's Depth Box Jump to improve your hip flexibility and explosion simultaneously.
Slideboard Dynamic Hip/Glute Stretch
• Assume Push-Up position with feet on slideboard
• Bring one leg up and across body so that knee comes to opposite wrist
• Lower hips until stretch is felt through glute and hip
• Return foot to start with control; repeat on opposite side
• Continue in alternating fashion for specified reps
Sets/Reps: 3x20-30 each leg
Modification: If slideboard is unavailable, perform on gym floor with towels wrapped around feet
Coaching Points: Begin by performing exercise slowly // Increase speed as you progress // Push down with working knee and thigh to intensify stretch
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock