The Best Core Exercise You're Not Doing
The Plate Press is a terrific core exercise, cleverly disguised as an upper-body, horizontal push exercise. Once you try it, you'll realize how core-intensive it is. To perform the Plate Press, you need a decline bench and a weight plate.
Start with a lightweight plate (around 10 pounds) until you get the hang of the exercise, then challenge yourself by gradually increasing the weight.
- Sit upright on a decline bench holding a weight plate against your chest
- Make sure your legs are securely "locked" around the bench's padded supports
- Lie back until your torso is horizontal (parallel with the ground)
- Do not let your shoulders or back touch the bench
- With a slow, even pace, push the weight plate away from your chest (like a Bench Press)
- Repeat for specified reps