Develop Your QB With These 4 Drills
Terry Bradshaw, Dan Marino and Joe Montana. Their names immediately evoke memories of awe-inspiring plays and Super Bowl rings. But these NFL quarterbacks didn't become legends on talent alone. They had to devote years to mastering the physical and mental skills necessary for their position. (Try this Quarterback Workout: For a Stronger, More Accurate Arm.)
It's not easy to become a successful quarterback. To really improve takes time and dedication. The following QB drills can help you speed up the process so you can make an impact next season. (See also Robert Griffin III's Quick Release Drill.)
Read and Recognition Drill
One of the most common quarterback drills, it allows players to practice their physical and mental skills simultaneously.
- Spread five receivers across the field a short distance away
- As the QB drops back, coach points at one of the receivers, who raises his hand in response
- QB must recognize the indicated receiver and make a quick and accurate throw
To add difficulty, have the receivers hold up numbered cards and make the quarterback call out the receiver's number. Or roll an object into the quarterback's path. This will force him to focus downfield even when he is rushed.
Target Practice Drill
This drill is specifically designed to increase a quarterback's accuracy.
- QB throws passes at a suspended tire, an empty trash can or a target net
- The smaller the target the better
One-on-One Passing Drill
This is an advanced version of the Target Practice drill.
- QB must make an accurate throw to a receiver, who's being covered by a single defender
- The moving target element makes this drill more difficult
This drill runs like a live-game situation using the back seven defensive players and seven offensive players, including the quarterback and a center to snap the ball.
- Practice pass plays with the defense in different coverages, mimicking a game
This is the ultimate test of a quarterback's ability, because he must correctly read a live defense and make accurate throws as the pass rush bears down on him.