When your workout routine becomes too routine, training with resistance bands is a convenient and challenging alternative. Use the portable bands for a variety of full-body exercises to build muscle and enhance muscular endurance. The bands vary in resistance (depending on their thickness) and can be purchased at sporting goods stores or ordered online. Generally, thicker bands provide greater resistance.
These two intense full-body resistance band circuits effectively boost muscular endurance—essential for many sports, especially when additional energy is required late in the game.
One Resistance Band with Handles (band thickness for approximately 70% RM)
- Perform Circuits 1 and 2 on non-consecutive days for adequate recovery.
- Perform a dynamic upper/lower-body warm-up (e.g., Arm Circles and Lunges).
- Sets/Reps per exercise: 1x15
- Superset all three exercises.
- Rest 15-30 seconds and hydrate after the third exercise.
- Complete the circuit by doing 2 more supersets of the 3 exercises without rest.
- Finish with cool-down static upper- and lower-body stretches to optimize flexibility and range of motion.
Resistance Band Circuit 1
Squats and Rows
- Interlace the band around a pole or sturdy post.
- Face the pole from a few feet away.
- Grasp the band handles with your arms extended.
- Bend your legs slightly and pull the handles toward your waist while squatting.
- Hold for 1 second, squeeze your shoulder blades together and slowly return to start position in 2 seconds.
- Do 14 more reps and immediately go to next exercise.
- Muscles worked: quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, middle back and biceps.
Squats and Overhead Presses
- Remove the band from the pole and place it underneath your feet.
- Hold the handles at your shoulders.
- Assume squat position and explosively press the handles overhead while straightening your legs.
- Pause 1 second and return to start position.
- Do 14 more reps and immediately go to the next exercise.
- Muscles worked: quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, shoulders, and triceps.
Standing Press-Outs and Twists
- Interlace the band around a post or pole.
- Stand a few feet away from the post facing away from it and grasp the handles at chest level.
- Assume an athletic stance and explosively press the handles away from your chest.
- Extend your arms and pause 1 second.
- Rotate your torso to the right with the handles.
- Pause 1 second and rotate back to center.
- Rotate your torso to the left.
- Pause 1 second, rotate back to center and return to the start position.
- Perform 14 more Press-Outs/Twists, rest 15-30 seconds and hydrate
- Repeat all 3 exercises without resting, completing 2 more circuits.
- Muscles worked: chest, triceps and obliques.
Resistance Band Circuit 2
Single Leg Squats and Pull-Downs
- Interlace the band atop an overhead bar.
- Facing the bar from a few feet away, grasp the handles with your arms extended and stand on your right leg with your left foot off the floor.
- Squat with your right leg and simultaneously pull the handles toward your chest and squeeze your shoulder blades together for 1 second.
- Slowly return to start position and perform 14 more reps.
- Without rest, switch to standing on your left leg with your right foot off the floor and do 15 Single-Leg Squats and Pull-Downs.
- Single-Leg Squats improve balance and core stability and strengthen the quadriceps, hamstrings and glutes. Pull-Downs build upper and middle back and biceps muscles.
Band Chops and Side Lunges
- Standing a few feet sideways from the bar, assume an athletic stance.
- Grasp the handles above your left ear and quickly pull down across your body while laterally lunging with your right leg.
- Hold 1 second and return to start position.
- Perform 14 more Chops/Lunges.
- Switch position and perform Chops starting with handles above your right ear.
- Pull downward while lunging laterally with your left leg for 15 reps.
- Muscles worked: shoulders, obliques, glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings. Immediately go to next exercise.
Alternate Forward Lunges and Press-Downs
- Facing away from an overhead bar, grasp the handles.
- Explosively press the handles toward the floor while simultaneously lunging forward with your right leg.
- Pause 1 second and squeeze your inner chest.
- Slowly return to start position and quickly press down while lunging with your left leg.
- Perform 15 alternating Lunges/Press-Downs.
- Muscles worked: chest, triceps, quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes.
- Rest 15-30 seconds to hydrate and perform two more supersets of all three exercises without rest.
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock