NBA sharpshooter J.J. Redick demonstrates the Catch and Shoot drill. Learn how to incorporate this drill into your basketball practices.
NBA sharpshooter J.J. Redick demonstrates the Catch and Shoot drill that prepares basketball players for the floppy, thumb-up or fist play. Watch Redick demonstrate the Catch and Shoot drill to learn how to incorporate this drill into your athlete's skill development program.
Goal: To improve your athlete's shooting technique and accuracy when quickly transitioning from a catch to a shot. To improve shooting when running to different areas of the key in a drill design to mimic commonly executed game plays.
- Have athlete return to start position after every shot
- Position partner 1 on block, who will act as screener
- Position partner 2 at top of key behind three-point line, who will act as passer
- Have athlete catch and immediately shoot ball with proper technique
- Have athlete shoot five shots from different positions around the key
- Ensure athlete performs shots on opposite side
Sets/Reps: Make all five shots, then perform to opposite side; repeat as desired
Custom workouts and performance tracking
Everything you need to be the fittest you ever
Sport-specific conditioning programs
Tips and advice for coaches and trainers
Latest issues of STACK Magazine
Women's sports workout, nutrition and lifestyle advice
Gaming, entertainment and tech news
Military-style training for athletes
High school sports community and content sharing
Find the latest news relevant to athletes