Nail Yakupov's Depth Jump to Prowler Push Combo
March 18, 2013
NHL forward Nail Yakupov performs these two lower-body exercises to increase his strength and power on the ice.
About the Video
To make a better transition from the Canadian junior leagues to the NHL, Nail Yakupov increased his speed and power on the ice. To do this, he performed the Depth Jump and Speed Prowler Push-Pull Combo. "These two exercises build lower-body pushing power and build strength in the posterior chain, which are two keys to increasing skating speed and power on the ice," adds Joe Neal, 2SP head performance coach.
- Assume athletic stance on edge of eight-inch plyo box with two- to three-foot plyo box about two feet in front
- Hop forward off box and land softly on ground halfway to opposite box
- Immediately explode up and onto box in front; landing with soft knees
- Step off box, return to start and repeat for specified reps
Speed Prowler Push-Pull
- Attach weighted sled to body harness behind body and start with hands on second sled in front with body at 45-degree angle
- Begin sprinting by powerfully driving legs
- Push and pull sleds as fast as possible for specified distance