Obstacle course races require you to muster all your strength and endurance to complete the grueling event. This means you need a proper training program to reach new personal records.
A good way to conclude your training sessions for obstacle course races is to use proper finishers. These quick workouts will test your strength and endurance at the end of your workout when you are already gassed. This will help push your endurance and mental capacity during the race!
3-Minute Goblet Squat to Reverse Lunge
This move will burn out your legs and help you prepare for those tall hills and long races. To complete this move, follow the steps below:
- Perform the Goblet Squat (make sure to keep your knees behind your toes!)
- After the Squat, do a Reverse Lunge with both legs.
- That’s one rep.
- Continue for the next three minutes doing as many reps as possible.
Spartan Makers Shoulder Press Combo
This move will tax your back, shoulders, core, forearms and mental endurance with a quick 4-round setup. Perform this complex with a pair of dumbbells. Each move will be 30 seconds long. Follow the steps below:
- Perform Spartan Makers for 30 seconds. Do not rotate your body. Keep your core engaged.
- Use the next 30 seconds to complete as many reps as possible of Shoulder Press.
- At the end of the 30 seconds, hold your Shoulder Press in an Overhead Hold for 30 seconds.
- Complete this setup for 4 rounds with only 45 seconds of rest between rounds.
Hip Thrusts and Kettlebell Swings
This final finisher comprises only two movements, but it will challenge your glute muscles, which are extremely important for strengthening your legs for your next obstacle course race. You will perform the Hip Thrust and the Kettlebell Swing. To complete this finisher, you must do 100 reps of each movement in as little time as possible. Remember to keep good form and to use a weight that will challenge you!
By adding these three finishers to your workout your endurance levels will skyrocket and you will be ready for any obstacle course race in your future!