Preparing and cooking food should be fun. Unfortunately, complicated recipes sometimes spoil the fun for many people. My approach is to make cooking simple and tasty by keeping the ingredients to a minimum and letting their natural flavors take center stage. Here are five easy recipes, each containing only five ingredients, which will have you eating a nutritious and delicious meal in no time.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes
- 4 eggs per serving
- 8 oz. can enchilada sauce (red or green)
- 4 soft taco tortillas per serving (corn or flour)
- 1 can seasoned cooked beans (low-fat refried, black, pinto)
- ½ cup cheese (shredded taco, cojita, feta)
- Heat the sauce and beans in a microwave or on the stove top.
- Cook the eggs in your favorite way (fried, poached or even scrambled).
- Add 2 tortillas to a plate, add ½ cup of the beans and top with ¼ cup of cheese.
- Repeat on another plate for the other portion.
- Top the plates with the eggs and finish with 1/3 cup of sauce.
Zucchini Parmesan Sauté
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 medium zucchini, diced and seasoned with salt & pepper
- 12-oz. can seasoned diced tomatoes (Italian, basil & garlic, etc)
- 2 cups cooked high-protein noodles
- ½ cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- Sauté the zucchini in oil for 3 minutes.
- Add the seasoned tomatoes.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes until hot.
- Divide into two bowls and top with ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
Bangers & Mash
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes
- two 4 oz. pre-cooked chicken sausage per serving
- 12 oz. small golden or red potatoes
- ½ cup fat-free French onion dip
- 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut
- 1/2 cup fat-free chicken gravy
- Cook the potatoes, starting them in cold water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook about 15 minutes, depending on size, until soft.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat the sausages, gravy and sauerkraut separately on the stove or in the microwave.
- When the potatoes are done, drain the water and mash them with a large spoon, hand mixer or potato masher.
- Mix in the French onion dip for flavor.
- Divide the potatoes between two plates, add 3/4 cup sauerkraut on the side of each, top the potatoes with the sausage and add ¼ cup gravy.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes
- 2 cups roasted, boneless chicken
- 2 whole grain pitas per serving
- 1 tomato per serving
- ½ cucumber peeled and seedless, per serving
- ¼ cup fat-free Greek or fat-free ranch dressing
- Fine chop the cucumber and add it to the dressing.
- Dice the tomato.
- Heat the chicken in a microwave or on the stove.
- Add 1 cup of chicken to each pita.
- Top with the cucumber dressing and diced tomatoes.
Teriyaki Tofu & Broccoli
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes
- 10 oz. firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into ¾-inch squares
- 2 cup simmered broccoli pieces
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup low-fat teriyaki sauce
- 1-½ cups cooked brown rice (still hot)
- Place teriyaki sauce in a medium sized pan.
- Add the tofu and broccoli and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Finish with the bean sprouts.
- Simmer 1 minute.
- Add ¾ cup rice to each plate or bowl and top with the teriyaki mix.
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock