We are all trying to become stronger, faster, and overall better versions of ourselves. But proper plyometrics, weight training, and speed work can only take us so far. We also need to train our core with ab workouts.
If solid ab workouts are neglected, you may have strong shoulders, but pressing large weight overhead will result in failure because your midsection strength is insufficient.
Here is an intense five-part ab workout that will bring your core up to par and increase all of your main lifts.
The Intense Ab Workout
Walk Out Push-Up Holds
- Start in push-up position with your arms straight.
- Slowly walk your hands out as far as you can while contracting your stomac and tightening your glutes.
- Hold for 30 seconds
[youtube video=”5XUzR8rjjWw” /]
Kettlebell Halo Press Outs
- Start in a kneeling position with your torso as upright as possible.
- Tighten your glutes and core to maintain proper upright posture.
- Starting with the kettlebell in a goblet hold position, rotate it in a circular motion around your head.
- When the kettlebell returns to your chest, press it out and back in.
- Repeat in the opposite direction.
[youtube video=”EDupzE9NF2o” /]
Split-Stance Cable Press Out Holds
- Adjust the cable to chest height and walk out away from the machine.
- Place your feet in a staggered stance with your outside leg forward.
- Press the cable out.
- Hold for 20 seconds
[youtube video=”NUxtiNmFAK8″ /]
Dumbbell or Kettlebell Overhead Carries
- Press two dumbbells or kettlebells overhead.
- Keep your core engaged, chest up, and biceps against your ears.
- Walk in a straight line without overlapping your feet.
- Hold and walk for 40 yards.
[youtube video=”7KL-rXGgn6w” /]
Plank Hold Body Saws
- Start in plank position with your palms open and flat.
- Place your feet on valslides or small towels.
- Slide your feet back, and then slide back to start position.
- Perform 10 repetitions.
[youtube video=”bcq9HmEIaNk” /]