The STACK Exercise of the Week will help you improve your overall sports performance—including strength, speed, conditioning and flexibility. This week we highlight the Band Diamond Push-Up, an exercise that increases upper-body and core strength.
Who’s Doing It
- Scott Stallings, PGA Tour golfer
- Increases upper-body strength, specifically the triceps
- Improves core strength and stability
Sports Performance Benefits
Arm strength is important for sports, but you shouldn’t be spending too much time on isolation exercises like Tricep Extensions unless you are a bodybuilder. This is where Band Diamond Push-Ups come in. Using this exercise, Stallings can increase his triceps strength while engaging most of his upper-body muscles and core. This will help him hit the ball further and become an overall stronger athlete.
Band Diamond Push-Up How To
- Assume push-up position with hands close together in diamond pattern
- Wrap resistance band around shoulders and secure with hands
- Lower until chest is slightly above ground; keep core tight
- Drive up out of Push-Up to return to start position
- Repeat for specified reps
- Hold hands in diamond position just below shoulders
- Keep elbows in and shoulder blades retracted
Do you have an exercise that you want to see featured as an Exercise of the Week? Leave a comment below.