Spring is officially here, and we’re counting the weeks until we can rip off our shirts and soak up some summer sun. If you want to get a beach body, there’s no better time to start than now. (Learn how to get 6-pack abs.)
If you are in your off-season, you’re probably already following a training program to improve your strength, speed and endurance. Fortunately, you can get a better body and still enhance these crucial areas of your game. (See Change your diet to burn fat.)
If you’re not yet ready for the “summer of no shirts (SONS),” start preparing now with the following beach body workout program. Your physique will improve and your coach will be impressed when you come back this fall in the best shape of your life.
- Do 3-5 sets of maximal Push-Ups and Pull-Ups 6 days a week
- Do a track workout incorporating high-intensity interval training once per week.
- Stick to the basic movements of pushing, squatting, jumping and pulling.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Use a pyramid system of 12, 10, 8 and 6 reps. Start with light weight and progress to heavy weight each set. Rest for one minute between sets.
Tuesday: Track Workout
- Warm-up: half-mile run
- Dynamic Warm-Up
- Sprint: 6 x 50 yards (rest for 1-2 minutes between sprints)
- Sprint: 4 x 100 yards (rest for 2-3 minutes between sprints)
- Sprint: 2 x 200 yards (rest for 3 minutes between sprints)
- Sprint: 2 x 400 yards x 2 (rest for 5 minutes between sprints)
Thursday: Body Weight
Note: Don’t perform your daily Push-Ups and Pull-Ups
Circuit: Repeat 3 to 5 times and rest for two minutes between sets
- Treadmill Sprint: 45 seconds
- Max Push-Ups
- Max Pull-Ups
Make sure to follow this during the summer months. Before you know it, you’ll have the beach body you’ve always wanted! For more, follow us at www.facebook.com/showupfitness.