With a little creativity, a portable weight room bench can become a multi-functional piece of exercise equipment. Stop doing “ordinary” exercises on a plain old adjacent bench. Get “extraordinary” with this high-intensity, boot camp-style workout, and challenge your muscles and stamina. By incorporating sports-essential muscular endurance, you’ll be good to go to triple-overtime during your next game.
Weight Room Bench Workout Specs
- Equipment: portable bench, 15- to 20-pound medicine ball, mat, and water bottle
- Number of exercises: 12
- Sets/Reps: 1×12 (no rest between exercises, except 15-to-30-second water breaks where indicated.)
Weight Room Bench Workout
- Step-Ups/Ball Press-Outs: Hold med ball at chest level and place right foot on bench. Explosively drive left foot off floor and lift left knee high toward waist while simultaneously pressing ball away from chest.
- Bench Dips: Facing away from bench, place hands on edge of bench with legs extended, heels on floor. Slowly bend arms and lower hips to floor (three seconds) and quickly press up (one second) for 12 reps.
- Bench Pull-Ups: Slide under the bench on your back so chest is directly under bench and legs are extended, resting on heels. Place hands with overhand grip at shoulder-width atop bench and pull up, lifting hips off floor. Hold three seconds, lower and continue. Get water then move to next exercise.
- Alternate Bench Jumps: Place hands on left side of bench (toward middle of bench) with both feet on floor on left side of bench. Quickly leap over edge of bench and continue, rapidly alternately jumping over edge with both legs non-stop 12 times.
- Explosive Push-Ups: Place hands shoulder-width apart on middle of bench and explosively push hands off bench intermittently between reps.
- Single Leg Squats on Bench: Stand on bench; bend left leg and descend into squat with right foot dangling off side of bench.
- Elevated Prone Planks: Place feet on edge of bench and forearms on mat in prone plank position. Hold 45 to 60 seconds.
- Elevated Weighted Sit-Ups: Sit on mat with knees bent and feet on top of bench; hold med ball overhead and perform Sit-Ups.
- Bench Upright Rows: Squat and lift edge of bench off floor; raise bench upright with legs spread apart and hold edge up at shoulder level 30 to 45 seconds.
- Plyo Jumps On/Off Bench: Hold med ball overhead while jumping on and off bench 12 times; take 30-second water break.
- Feet Elevated Push-Ups: Place feet on bench and assume push-up position with hands on mat. Keep body straight, tighten abdomen without letting lower back sag. Slowly lower to floor (three seconds), then quickly press up (one second). Continue 12 times then immediately go to next exercise with feet still on bench.
- Elevated Side Planks: From push-up position, go on forearms and rotate to left side and rest on left forearm. Raise hips off floor and raise right hand overhead. Hold 45 to 60 seconds; repeat by rotating to right side.
Finish with cooldown upper- and lower-body static stretches to promote flexibility.