Summer is in full swing, and you need to be outside enjoying the great weather. We don’t want to spend all day in the gym this time of the year. At the same time, you don’t want to lose all the progress you have made during the winter. This is your go-to summer workout to stay lean and strong until the fall.
We want to get out of the gym ASAP, but maximize our time while we lift. This routine will focus on compound exercises, hitting all the major muscle groups. We’ll keep the pace up, and use only one piece of equipment to avoid any wasted time.
Our secret weapon—the landmine. The landmine is an effective, safe and easy-to-use piece of equipment for performing all of the essential movements: Squat, Press, Pull, Hip Hinge, Lunge and rotations. Click here for more info on the landmine.
If your gym doesn’t have a landmine, find a better gym. If you insist on staying at your inferior gym, shove a barbell into the corner of the room. Your gym has corners, right?
Start with a good 5-minute warm-up.
Don’t neglect this. We are trying to keep the workout quick, but skipping a warm-up will lead to injury.
Perform the following exercises in circuit fashion, completing 10 repetitions of each exercise. Rest 15 seconds between exercises. Take 2 minutes rest after completing the circuit. Complete the entire circuit 3 times total.
- Begin by holding the bar against your chest and squat down until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- As you return to the starting position, press the weight forward by fully extending your arms as you extend your legs.
- Straddle the bar facing away from the landmine with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Keeping your back flat, bend down and pick up the bar. You can either grip the bar with your bare hands or use a V-handle secured underneath the end of the barbell. Your back should be at approximately a 45-degree angle to the floor, arms fully extended.
- Pull your elbows up toward your chest, squeezing your shoulder blades together at the top.
- Slowly lower back to the start.
Landmine Single-Leg RDL
- Stand with your feet together and hold the end of the bar with your left hand in front of your thigh, arm extended.
- Bend right knee slightly as you bend forward from your hips, extending your right leg to hip height behind you as you lower bar toward the floor.
- Rise up to the starting position and repeat.
- Squeeze your glutes, and keep your core tight throughout the movement.
- Repeat for left and right leg.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and hold the end of the bar with both hands, fingers clasped, at chest height in front of you.
- Adjust your feet so that your arms are fully extended.
- Keeping your shoulders and hips squared forward, bring the weight across your body to the right, then immediately bring it the left.
- That’s one rep. Keep the pace nice and slow throughout.
Landmine Reverse Lunge
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and hold the end of the bar with both hands in front of your chest, fingers clasped and thumbs on end of the bar.
- Take a few steps back so your body is tilted forward slightly. Take a big step back with your right foot and bend your knees into a lunge position.
- Step forward back to the starting position and repeat with the other leg. Complete 10 reps per leg.
- Add an Overhead Press from the standing position if you’re feeling ambitious!
Landmine One-Arm Chest Press
- Place the bar on the floor and lie to the left of it with right leg extended and left knee bent, foot on the floor.
- Grasp the end of the bar with your right hand, and extend your left arm on the floor beside you, palm facing down.
- Extend your right arm, pushing the bar straight up.
- Bend your elbow to return to starting position and repeat.
- Repeat for left and right arm.