This workout is all about going vertical. We're getting after it with just two exercises: Pull-Ups and Clean and Press.
The Pull-Ups will be a 3-second negative (eccentric) movement. For the Clean and Press, we will be looking for a 2-second isometric hold at the top.
Pull-Ups are my absolute favorite upper-body exercise by far! Here are a few reasons why:
- A great upper-body compound exercise that targets the shoulders, back, chest and biceps.
- If you're looking for the V-taper look, Pull-Ups are a must!
- There are plenty of Pull-Up variations. Old fashioned overhand Pull-Ups, Reverse Grip Pull-Ups (Chin-Ups), Close Grip Pull-Ups, and Wide Grip Pull-Ups.
- You can easily increase the intensity. Whether doing Pull-Ups with a weight belt, weighted vest or doing muscle-ups, there are plenty of ways to increase the intensity and difficulty of your Pull-Ups.
On the other end, Clean and Press maybe one of my least favorite exercises! The reason being is simply because they're tough, and that, my friends, are why we do them. Here are a few more reasons why the Clean and Press is a must in your workout routine:
- It is a great compound exercise that not only targets your shoulders but also activates your quads, hamstrings and traps among much more.
- Not only is this lift great for hypertrophy and strength, it is also good for building muscle endurance and cardiovascular stamina.
- The Clean and Press is a great compound exercise that'll leave you drenched in sweat post workout. Also, don't forget that the clean and press can be a very technical so make sure you're using correct form when performing this exercise.
Clean and Press: 45 total Reps: 2-second isometric hold each rep.
- 1st Set: 3 Reps
- 2nd Set: 6 Reps
- 3rd Set: 9 Reps
- 4th Set: 12 Reps
- 5th Set: 15 Reps
Pull-ups: 45 total Reps: 3-second negative (eccentric) movement each rep.
- 1st Set: 15 Reps
- 2nd Set: 12 Reps
- 3rd Set: 9 Sets
- 4th Set: 6 Sets
- 5th Set: 3 Sets
*The clean and press can be modified by using dumbbells.
*Use a band or jump into pull-ups if needed for assisted pull-ups.
- How to Master the Pull-Up
- A Training Plan to Perform Your First Pull-Up
- 10 New and Improved Pull-Up Variations