Battlefield 3, the much-anticipated sequel to one of the most popular shooter games of the last decade, finally hit stores this week. Is it worth bringing on your next road trip? To help you decide, we catalog five things you need to know about the game.
1) Battlefield 3 looks and sounds great. Its new Frostbite 2 engine makes characters look more human, explosions feel more powerful and environments seem more lifelike. The game's sound design takes the franchise to the next level with Hollywood-caliber voice acting that gives the narrative a sense of urgency.
2) Buckle up: you're in the driver's seat. A huge array of vehicles is one reason why Battlefield has become such a favorite among gamers. Here again, Battlefield 3 does not disappoint. Playing it, you can parachute from a jet, fly a helicoter, ride amphibious transports and man the guns on a Humvee. Vehicles add another layer of strategy to an already hectic multiplayer game, providing a truly immersive experience.
3) Teamwork beats brawn. Unlike many shooters, the Battlefield series has always emphasized teamwork over sheer firepower. Bring the game on road trips to get a group of your friends involved. Playing with and against your teammates gives Battlefield 3 a sense of emotional depth not found in many of today's shooters.
4) Memorable moments keep coming. With epic battles in multiplayer and non-stop set pieces in the solo campaign, Battlefield 3 has very little down time. After a few hours of play, you'll be telling your friends about your favorite moments in the game as if they were scenes from a movie.
5) The game offers more than just multiplayer competition. Although the series is best known for its strategic multiplayer battles, Battlefield 3's solo campaign is tremendously engaging in its own right. Take a few hours to battle through the solo campaign. You'll be surprised by the variety of missions you'll undertake and the cool sequences you'll fight through. Also check out the game's co-op mode, where you'll battle with teammates through six tough missions.
Tight play, tons of strategy and better effects than most Hollywood blockbusters are good reasons to go all in with Battlefield 3. Invite your teammates over and get ready for an awesome experience.
The game is available for purchase online and in stores.
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock