Time-efficient conditioning workouts are the training foundation for Heisman Trophy winner and three-time NFL All-Pro running back Herschel Walker. To this day, Walker continues to perform them as he pursues a career in mixed martial arts. The workouts help him maintain an elite level of conditioning by taxing his metabolic capacity—the ability to maintain powerful movements over an extended period of time. Walker says, “One of the assets that I have in the cage is my cardio.” His circuit training is the reason.
Step away from the treadmill and the elliptical machine—which fail to replicate game-like conditions—and attack Walker’s conditioning circuit, put together by Kurt Hester, D1 Sports Training’s National Director of Training. It’ll build explosiveness that translates to the playing field.
Perform three rounds of the circuit, resting for two minutes after completing each round.
Med Ball Slams
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart holding med ball with both hands at waist
- Rotate arms clockwise, bring med ball overhead and slam into ground on right
- Catch ball on first bounce, rotate arms counterclockwise, and repeat slam on left
- Perform specified number of reps
Reps: 6-8 each side
Coaching Points: Use lightweight med ball // Keep weight on heels with chest up // Perform slam in one continuous motion
Tire Flips With Plyo Hop
- Assume athletic position, then Squat and grab underneath tire
- Explode up while pulling tire, then flip tire forward and onto ground
- Stay in athletic position, sink hips back and perform Tuck Jump into center of tire
- Jump to far side of tire and turn around
- Repeat for specified reps
Coaching Points: Use lower body to drive tire up // Keep weight on heels // Jump in and out of tire as fast as possible
- Stack 2½-, 5-, 10-, 25- and 45-pound plates
- Pick up 2½-pound plate and run 20 yards. Drop plate on ground and jog back to start position
- Repeat for remaining plates
- Rest for 30 seconds and repeat exercise, starting with 45-pound plate and working down to 2½
Sets: 4 (2 ascending, 2 descending)
Coaching Points: Perform in controlled manner // Use two hands to carry plates, holding at chest level