Every day is a great day to be an athlete. Especially when it's Friday. Your week of training is coming to an end, and in most weight rooms, Friday is a day of variation to break up your routine. This 20-minute AMRAP (as many reps as possible) workout is perfect for any athlete looking to burn fat and build muscle quick—and it's perfect for Fridays!
Check it out.
Why Friday? Because come Friday, my body is pretty beat up, it's the weekend, and I'm itching to just get in and out of the gym. Does that sound familiar to you?
Don't get it twisted. This 20-minute AMRAP circuit is not a "day off." Trust me.
I got this from the bright mind of Xceleration Fitness Head Strength Coach Matt VanSumeren. He calls it the "20-Minute D-Day"
Why is it called D-Day? Density Training
What the heck is density training?
Pretty simple: It's a combination of tweaking both volume and duration in a workout.
- Volume = Number of sets and reps you do in a workout
- Duration = Duh! The length of time of your workout
Simply put, we try to increase the amount of work you do in a given period of time. Many people call it AMRAP-style. I'm cool with that but I think D-Day sounds cooler.
Enough with the big words and jibber jabber. Let's get to the workout:
The D-Day 20-Minute AMRAP Workout
Exercises and Reps
- Barbell Hip Thrust - x5
- Incline Bench Press - x8
- Chin-Ups - x10
- RFE Squats - x10 each leg
- Dumbbell Pullover - x10
- Airdyne Bike Sprint x8 calories (or about 20-25 seconds)
- Inline Lunge Drops - x6 each leg
How Do You Do It?
- First, set up all of your stations. Use a weight that will challenge you in each exercise. Don't be the guy who uses just the 45-pound bar for hip thrusts. Load enough weight to make it challenging on the last 1-2 reps of each exercise.
- Set a timer for 20 minutes
GRIND! No rest. Do as many rounds as possible and GRIND!
Bam! You are done and on your way to burning a ton of fat and building lean, ripped muscle. This is also a great way to compete with your teammates or workout partners. Put the time on the clock and knock out as many rounds as quickly as you can. Use correct form and compete.
Add this 20-minute AMRAP circuit to your normal program. Do 3 weeks of it and get back to me with your results! I want to hear them. Email me at email@example.com or follow me on Instagram @benboudro.
- 60-Day Barbell Workout Program for Strength and Size
- 3 Ways to Make Any Exercise Harder Without Adding Weight
- 20-Minute AMRAP Strength and Endurance Workout
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock