Sun damage is a serious concern for athletes who practice and compete outside. If you are an athlete who spends extensive time in the sun, you might consider applying homemade lip balm as a natural preventative for chapping and cracking due to sun exposure. Homemade lip balm is a natural alternative to store bought petroleum-based lip balm, which is a temporary fix anyway, because the lips cannot absorb the petroleum formula.
Keep your lips moisturized and healthy this summer by making your own lip balm. Create your own natural balm by following these easy directions:
Homemade Lip Balm Ingredients and Supplies
- 4 oz. beeswax
- 2 oz. olive oil
- Vanilla food grade essential oil
- Double boiler
- Candy thermometer
- Glass lip balm pot with cap
Homemade Lip Balm Directions
- Heat the beeswax in a double boiler until it melts.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan until it reaches 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the beeswax and olive oil into a blender, and mix them together on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Add in 10 drops of vanilla food grade essential oil.
- Blend the mixture for another 30 seconds.
- Place a funnel into the open top of a lip balm pot, and slowly pour the mixture into the pot until it reaches the top rim.
- Allow the lip balm pot to sit undisturbed for two hours, then screw on the cap.
- Apply the homemade lip balm before and after playing sports to keep lips soft and supple.