I’m a speed, strength and conditioning coach. The number one thing my athletes want is to get faster. Often they need to improve their running form. When their technique is correct, they move more efficiently and ultimately increase their speed.
I usually start them off with plyometrics, track speed drills, resistance sprinting, and upper- and lower-body strengthening. But if you’re training on your own, you don’t have to get fancy. Focus on these simple mechanics to improve your running form and boost your speed.
- Keep your hands open.
- Relax your shoulders and face.
- Maintain a 90-degree bend at the elbow.
- Keep your back straight and don’t round your shoulders.
- Keep your arms straight in front and straight in back from mouth to hip (zero side-to-side movement.)
- Maintain a drawn-in position with your core—i.e., pull your belly button to your spine but continue to breathe.
- Maintain a posterior pelvic tilt—i.e., squeeze your glutes to rotate your hips under your body.
- Maintain dorsiflexed toes (pointed up toward your shins) until your foot lands and extends through the ground.
- Run on the balls of your feet.
- Maintain a cycling motion with your legs.
A typical day of training could break down like this:
Quad Stretch with Inverted Toe Touch
[youtube video=”SMPYPGP76K8″ /]
Skip with a Clap
[youtube video=”_X4RJHKSkXQ” /]
[youtube video=”r47HRilBtfc” /]
Skip and Scoop
[youtube video=”LKXp-i4JcpI” /]
[youtube video=”TrLqKr5_-6Q” /]
Double Split Squat Jumps
Sets/Reps: 4×3 each leg
[youtube video=”I8uQrsLXhmw” /]
Single-Leg Tuck Jump
Sets/Reps: 3×3 each leg
[youtube video=”qUMucFqb2Ug” /]
Sets/Distance: 4×10 yards (focus on “clawing” through the ground on the balls of your feet)
[youtube video=”CLgXAHLto4g” /]
Sets/Distance: 4×10 yards (focus on tucking your heels to your butt; if done correctly, your hip flexors will be burning)
[youtube video=”bOHrUlY91HU” /]
Fast Leg (Triple Alternate Variation)
Sets/Distance: 4×20 yards (focus on accelerating your foot through the ground and “recovering” your heel to your butt as quickly as possible)
With either a parachute, lightweight sled, partner resistance or slightly inclined hill.
Sets/Reps/Distance: 2×3 for 15 yards
[youtube video=”EFZNUTIr0Cw” /]
Tall and Fall Sprints
Directly after performing Resisted Sprints, perform two 20-Yard Tall and Fall Sprints.
[youtube video=”z_9YA5jCklE” /]
Push-Up Bridge with Alternating Arm Extension
[youtube video=”36oCVLJFYKw” /]
Stability Ball Prone Bridge Circles
[youtube video=”RCmi4M9KLME” /]