The demanding schedule during baseball season makes in-season workouts difficult to fit in. But it's important to maintain the gains you made in the off-season.
Below is an abbreviated version of my in-season baseball workout, which coaches and athletes can introduce at any skill level. It's easy to follow and simple to execute. I am not introducing unstable training like foam pads or BOSU work. You won't Bench Press, because we do not want to restrict proper shoulder movement. It also leaves out medicine ball exercises, since sport-specific activities such as swinging and throwing take priority over explosive, reactive movements.
After a few times through, this workout should take about 30 minutes, leaving plenty of time to focus on what matters most at this point—your work on the diamond.
- Foam rolling sequence - 5-10 minutes
- Active Straight Leg Raises with Resistance Band - 2x20
- Rib Grab Rotations - 2x10/side
- Lying Y-Rotations - 2x10/side
In-Season Total-Body Workout
- Dumbbell Goblet Squat - 2x12
- Pull-Ups - 2x8
- Swiss Ball Leg Curls - 2x10
- Push-Ups - 2x10
- Plank with Towel Row - 2x12/side
- Bridge with March - 2x20
- In-Season Baseball Workouts for Pitchers
- Guidelines for Your In-Season Baseball Workout
- How to Build Your Own Baseball Workout
- Improve Bat Speed With These Baseball-Specific Forearm Exercises
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock