Many sports movements require a powerful, well-defined chest. You use your inner and outer pectoral muscles when you bring your arms together to tackle or block in football, grasp and hold a wrestling opponent, reach diagonally across your body to field a baseball, or pass a basketball with both hands.
Boost your game with these inner-chest exercises. You can perform them at home or in the gym using a medicine ball and a cable. Superset each exercise to pump up your chest.
Inner Chest Workout Guidelines
After your final rep of combo sets, perform an isometric chest squeeze for added intensity.
- Extend and crisscross your arms below your chest.
- Squeeze your inner chest.
- Hold for five to 10 seconds.
Rest: 15 seconds between sets
Perform this workout on non-consecutive days for adequate recovery. Finish with a cool-down static chest stretch.
- Extend your right arm at chest level and grip the inside of a doorway.
- Turn your body to the left, stretching your chest muscles.
- Hold for 10-20 seconds.
- Perform on opposite side.
Tri-Combo Med Ball Supersets
Med Ball Side-To-Side Rolls/One Arm Med Ball Push-Ups/Push-Ups with Both Hands on Ball
- Assume shoulder-width push-up position with your right hand on the ball and your left hand on the ground.
- Roll the ball from hand to hand for 10 reps.
- Immediately perform 10 Push-Ups with your right hand on the ball and your left hand on the ground.
- Without rest, perform 10 Push-Ups with your left hand on the ball and your right hand on the ground.
- Quickly finish supersets with 10 Push-Ups with both hands on the ball.
- Stand and perform an Isometric Chest Squeeze.
- Rest 15 seconds and repeat the superset sequence of Ball Rolls/Med Ball Push-Ups.
- Finish with an Isometric Chest Squeeze and hydrate before proceeding to next tri-combo exercises.
Tri-Combo Cable Supersets
Downward Crisscross Flys/Alternate Hand Press-Outs/Both Hands Press-Outs
- Wrap the cable around a pull-up bar.
- Standing 1 to 2 feet away with your back to the bar.
- Crisscross your hands and grasp the cable handles with your arms slightly bent above your shoulders.
- Press the handles downward.
- Pause one second and contract your inner chest.
- Slowly return to start position.
- Perform 10 reps.
- Uncross your hands and immediately proceed to the next exercise.
- Alternately press one cable handle forward at chest level for 10 reps with each hand.
- Finish with 10 Press-Outs using both hands.
- Release the cable handles and perform an Isometric Inner-Chest Squeeze.
- Rest 15 seconds and repeat Cable Flys/Press-Outs superset sequence.
- Hydrate and end with the cool-down static chest stretch.