It was a monster weekend in Minnesota for Manny Machado, who recorded nine hits in 16 at-bats to help the Baltimore Orioles take two of three games from the Twins.
Machado has been on a tear in the first half of May. He leads all MLB third basemen in doubles (14) and runs (28). He also ranks second in stolen bases (4) and third in batting average (.331).
At 20 years of age, Machado is the youngest everyday third baseman in the big leagues. You'd think fantasy managers would be foaming at the mouth at the prospects of having Machado as a dynasty league keeper for years to come.
But midway through the month of May, Machado is owned by only 87 percent of Yahoo! Sports fantasy teams. He's not even among the top 10 for third basemen. Furthermore, Machado is being started by only 58 percent of the teams that own him.
Machado has been the leading man for his team, Manny's Mashers, in the Rawlings "Defenders of the Nine" fantasy baseball league. We suggest you make a mad dash for Machado if he's available in your league.
Let's take a look around the Defenders of the Nine fantasy league as we approach the midway mark in the month of May.
- Stant'n Like His Dad: 64
- The Beltre Belters: 51.5
- The Jay-Hey Kids: 51
- The Verlander Band: 47
- Big Al's Crew:46.5
- Buster's Big Fly Co.: 41.5
- Team Tulo: 36
- Manny's Mashers: 35.5
- Team Yadi: 32
Injury Report (Players placed on DL in May)
Buster's Big Fly Co.
- Vinnie Pestano (right elbow soreness; 15-Day DL)
Stant'n Like His Dad
- Joel Hanrahan (right forearm strain; 60-Day DL)
The Beltre Belters
- Jayson Werth (strained right hamstring; 15-Day DL)
Big Al's Crew
- Michael Cuddyer (bulging disk in neck; 15-Day DL)
Three Up, Three Down
- Stant'n Like His Dad leads the league in home runs (40), batting average (.288) and wins (18)
- The Beltre Belters feature individual stat leaders in Carlos Gomez (.371 batting average) and Justin Upton (12 home runs)
- Joe Mauer (Team Tulo) is 16 of his last 30 at-bats with 10 runs scored
- Closer Joel Hanrahan (Stant'n Like His Dad) will miss the rest of the season with an injury to his throwing arm
- Manny's Mashers ranks last in the league in home runs (23), runs batted in (124) and wins (11)
- Pitcher Philip Humber of perfect game notoriety was designated for assignment by the Houston Astros ... and was dropped from The Jay-Hey Kids, accordingly
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock