Quick protein snacks, timed around workouts, are an important part of an athlete’s day. They prevent hunger extremes and keep your blood sugars stable. As long as you have a source of protein, you can go beyond traditional snacks like nuts, cheese or protein bars.
One of my favorite tasty, high-protein snacks are individual meatloaf muffins. If you have more than one, they can also serve as a meal. They are great because you can vary the mix-ins, choose different meats for flavor and vitamins, and freeze them for a portable, quick snacks.
RELATED: Meal Planning: Get Ahead on the Weekend
- Start with 1 pound of meat (turkey, lamb, beef, chicken).
- Add an egg and 1/2 cup of bread crumbs for a binder and get creative with mix-ins and sauce (BBQ, marinara, ketchup, mustard).
- Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Fill with the meat and mix-ins combination, and brush with a light coating of sauce.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
My favorite meatloaf muffin recipes
Italian Meatloaf (inspired by Men’s Health)
Base: Ground turkey
Mix-ins: Basil, parsley, Parmesan cheese
Sauce: Homemade or store-bought marinara
BBQ Meatloaf (inspired by Whole Foods)
Base: Ground chicken
Mix-ins: Shredded sweet potato and onion
Sauce: BBQ sauce
Base: Ground beef
Mix-ins: Celery, carrots, onion, peas
Lamb Meatloaf (inspired by Southern Living)
Base: Ground lamb
Mix-ins: Diced green peppers, garlic, onion and rosemary
Sauce: Feta dip or Greek yogurt sauce
Vegetarian “Meat” Loaf (Inspired by Eat, Live, Run)
Mix-ins: Walnuts, onion, carrots, celery
Sauce: Spicy brown mustard
RELATED: 5 Non-Boring Ways to Eat Ground Turkey