News flash! Fancy equipment isn’t necessary for a challenging workout. You could shell out hundreds of dollars for high-end training equipment or an elite gym membership. Or you could try this effective routine that uses a single weight plate. (See also The Bedroom Bodyweight Workout.)
Make sure to bring your “A” game, because the first time you go a few rounds of this routine, you may have to crawl home.
Weight Plate Workout Overview
Complete each exercise for 10 reps, then move immediately to the next exercise. After you finish all nine, that’s one round. Rest for one to two minutes and start again. Aim for three to five rounds depending on your fitness level. Always start off slow to ensure proper form and technique.
Weight Plate Workout
[youtube video=”qrxJztYFt9M” /]
Goblet Squat & Press
- Begin holding the plate tight to your chest.
- Sit back into a squat position.
- Stand up while pressing the plate to the ceiling.
- Lower the plate to your chest and repeat.
- Again hold the plate tight to your chest.
- Take a large step back with one leg and drop into a lunge.
- Push through the front heel and return the leg to starting position.
- For an additional challenge, press the plate out in front of you as you lower your leg.
Single Leg Deadlift with One Arm Row
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart with the weight plate on one side.
- Place your weight on one foot and bend slightly at the knee.
- Lean forward, lifting the foot on the weight-plate side straight back.
- Keeping your core tight and hips square, pull the plate into your ribs.
- Return to standing position by lowering your back leg while returning the plate back to your side
Push-Up to Plate
- Place the plate on the ground
- Perform solid Push-Ups touching your chest to the plate each time.
- For an extra challenge, put the plate on your back and lower all the way down. It’s important not to sacrifice form just to put the plate on your back.
Squat & Biceps Curl
- Assume a deep squat position with your triceps on the inside of your thighs.
- Hold position keeping your chest up.
- Begin performing biceps curls holding the plate in both hands.
Overhead Triceps Extension
- Stand tall and place the plate behind your head.
- Keep your elbows in tight to your ears and extend your arms to the ceiling.
- Hold the weight plate with both hands
- Stand up straight, pulling your shoulder blades down and back.
- Lift the plate overhead.
- Move the weight plate in a circular motion around and above your head.
- Start in a prone plank position with the plate about eight to 12 inches away from your hands.
- Slowly reach one hand out and touch the plate.
- Keep your hips still and repeat the motion with each hand for 10 touches.
- Place the plate on the ground with your hands on top.
- Push the plate 10 yards.
- Swing your legs around and return 10 yards
Photo credit: Men’s Fitness