Knowing that loose hips and a strong core contribute mightily to explosion and vertical jumping ability, Dwyane Wade incorporates a dynamic exercise into his workouts to improve both attributes. His off-season strength coach Tim Grover has prescribed a slideboard exercise that forces Dwyane to use his core stability and flexion, as well as his hip and groin flexibility—all simultaneously.
“When he brings his feet to his hands, it is a tremendous core strengthening movement,” Grover says. “And when he drops his hips and spreads his legs, it opens up his hips and also increases shoulder stability.”
Improve these crucial elements of explosion and jumping by supersetting this exercise with Dwyane’s Alternate Explosive Leg Press.
Check out Dwyane’s entire workout here.
Slideboard Jackknife and Abduction
• Crouch down with feet on slideboard and hands firmly on ground in front
• Slide feet back to Push-Up position
• Slide feet out as wide as possible and drop hips toward slideboard
• Slide feet back together and then forward to start
• Repeat quickly for specified reps
Modification: If slideboard is not available, perform with towels between feet and floor
Coaching Point: Drop hips and core when spreading legs apart