A new year means it’s time for a fresh start and a new workout plan. To get you started, I’ve come up with a comprehensive program that adapts to your athletic needs throughout the year.
The program is divided into four parts: strength training, metabolic conditioning, speed/agility, and power training. (This article, the first of four, covers strength training.) Each part is divided into off-season, pre-season, in-season and a recovery period after your season. Some parts of the year are divided into multiple blocks of training. Blocks should last four to six weeks. Each block is divided into days of the week.
The programs overlap each other, and you have to put all the parts together for a comprehensive program. For example, you may be lifting weights and doing speed/agility drills on Day 1 of an off-season block, performing metabolic conditioning on Day 2 and performing power and strength training on Day 3.
With that in mind, what follows is the annual plan for strength training. Off-season builds your foundation all-around. Pre-season peaks your strength and power. In-season maintains all that strength and power. The recovery period gives you a chance to mentally and physically heal.
- Superset: Front Squats & Pull-Ups: 3×[email protected]% & 3×12-15
- Superset: Lunges & Dips: 3×12-15 each leg & 3×12-15
- Superset: Good Mornings & Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3×12-15 & 3×12-15
- Giant set: Front Raises & Side Raises & Rear Deltoid Raises: 3×10 each
- Dumbbell Bench Press: 3×8-12
- Dumbbell Rows: 3×8-12
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3×8-12
- Superset: Biceps and Triceps: 3×8-12
- Split Squats: 3×[email protected]% each leg
- Lunges: 3×6-10 each leg
- Seated Good Mornings: 3×6-10
- Reverse Hyperextensions: 3×12-15
- Power Clean + Front Squat: 3×[email protected]%
- Good Mornings: 3×4-8
- Complex: Bench Press + MB Throws: 3×[email protected]% + 5 throws
- Complex: Bent-Over Rows + MB Throw, Rear: 3×3-6+5 throws
- Standing Military Press: 3×3-6
- Kettlebell Front Squats: 3×15-20
- Kettlebell Romanian Deadlifts: 3×15-20
- Dips: 3xMax
- Pull-Ups: 3xMax
- Kettlebell Press: 3×15-20
- Goblet Squats: 3×15-20
- Reverse Hyperextensions: 3×15-20
- Push-Ups: 3xMax
- Chin-Ups: 3xMax
- 3-in-1 Shoulders: 3×20 each