Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast choice for runners because of its balanced mix of protein, carbohydrates and fats. But why settle for the plain old version when you can add healthy and flavorful ingredients to liven things up and actually make you look forward to eating it.
Here is a nutrient-rich ultimate oatmeal recipe that will give you the right amount of carbs to power your workout and help your muscles recover and repair more quickly.
Ultimate Oatmeal Recipe
- 1/2 cup of steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup of 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of chocolate whey protein powder
- Add-ins: dried fruit (raisins, cranberries), nuts, fresh fruit (bananas, apples, blueberries)
- Combine oats and milk in a microwave safe bowl. Cook according to directions on box.
- Once finished cooking, stir in peanut butter, honey, cinnamon and protein powder
- Top with any or all add-ins
- Calories: 378
- Protein: 12 grams
- Carbohydrates: 62 grams
- Fat: 10.5 grams
- Sugar: 24.5 grams
- Fiber: 5.5 grams
* Per serving, not including add-ins