Everyone has his or her own reason for wanting to lose weight. Maybe you want to be beach-ready, or you have a vacation coming up, or you just want to be the most fit athlete on your team. Whatever your reason, you’ll take a huge step toward achieving your goal by using this workout. It includes cardio, strength training movements and moments you will wish you could fast forward through. However, if you stick to it, you will see tremendous results.
Perform this workout three times a week, resting at least 24 hours between sessions.
- Start with 10 minutes of cardio (on any machine). For the first two minutes, warm up at whatever pace it takes you to get your blood flowing. Then work at 75% of your max heart rate. (Find your max heart rate by subtracting your age from 220 if you’re a male, 226 if you’re a female.) Keep your heart rate in that range for seven minutes, then spend the last minute working at a lighter pace.
- Do a circuit of three exercises for 20-25 reps each. For example, perform Bodyweight Squats followed by Push-Ups, finished off with Side Lunges.
- Next up is interval cardio. Again, this can be on any machine. Warm up for 60 seconds, sprint for 30 to 45 seconds and go at a lighter pace for a final 60 seconds. Repeat these intervals six times and finish with a 60-second cooldown.
- Next: 60 seconds of three different movements for three rounds—for example, Bicep Curls, Tricep Extensions and Bent Over Rows.
- Repeat the interval cardio.
- Finish with a core strength session. Use four movements that will build strength in your core, which will help you in all areas of fitness. Work until failure, meaning continue until you lose good form. For example, do a Plank followed by Side Planks to each side, and finish with Six-Inch Leg Raises.
If you bring your A game to this workout, you will get the results that you desire.