A good basketball pre-season workout for women should include a healthy mix of cardio training, strength and conditioning training and skill development. With the proper pre-season training, you can turn a decent team into a championship contender.
Here is a workout I've found particularly effective with the teams I train at the Kansas Basketball Academy Foundation in Wichita, Kan.
- Demonstrated by instructors
Fundamental Ball Handling (10 minutes)
- Fast Hands: Finger Tip Taps
- Figure Eight: With and Without Dribble
- 1 Ball Basic Dribbling: Inside/Out, Crossover, Behind the Back
2-Ball Dribbling (20 minutes)
- Warm-Up Dribble Full Court (Light jog, mid-speed, full speed)
- Power/Rapid Fire: Keep basketballs below waist.
- Switch Drill: Regular Dribble to Rapid to Behind the Back or Inside/out
Condition Dribbling (20 minutes)
- Tennis Ball Drill: Dribble left, catch tennis ball in right hand; Dribble right, catch tennis ball in left hand
- Game Simulated Drill: Set up cones at the top of the key and two wings. Work on Inside/Out, Crossover, Behind the Back. Finish with layup and pull-up jump shot.
KBAF Plyometrics (10 minutes)
- Hill Climb
- Chair Squats
- High Knees
- Butt Kicks
- Jog to Sprint
Speed and Agility
- Jump Rope: 30 seconds on each foot, 1 minute on both feet.
- 100-Meter Sprints x5
- Lunges: 1 minute
- Hill Climb (Mountain Climbers): 1 minute
- Chair Squats: 1 minute
- Cool Down Walk
- Creating Power and Balance in Women's Basketball
- 3 P's of Rebounding: Women's Basketball Drills
- Build Your Women's Basketball Training Program
Photo Credit: Getty Images // Thinkstock