We highlight the World’s Greatest Stretch, an exercise that improves hip and upper-body mobility.
- Improves hip mobility and upper-body rotation
- Lengthens and warms up muscles
Sports Performance Benefits
As its name suggests, this yoga-inspired movement is one of the best full-body stretches you can do. It opens up the hips, chest, back and shoulders so you’ll have the mobility you need to comfortably get into your running stance or perform a skill without muscle tightness impeding your movement. It’s an ideal warm-up exercise, because it engages multiple muscle groups in a dynamic movement, similar to how your body is used in competition.
World’s Greatest Stretch How-To
- Assume exaggerated lunge position with right leg in front and left leg straight behind
- Reach down and place left hand on ground at instep of right foot
- Open up chest and reach right arm to sky; hold for one second
- Rotate torso to start position and swing right arm across chest
- Repeat stretch for specified reps; perform set in opposite direction
Sets/Reps: 1×3-6 each side
- Begin in 40-Yard Dash stance
- Keep front hip, knee and ankle aligned
- Focus on maintaining balance
- Keep back leg as straight as possible by firing quad and glute