Close Grip Snatch
While the clean develops power, the snatch produces speed. Therefore, Sewell has players lighten the weight and "really concentrate on moving the bar fast and explosively to get the fast twitch muscle fibers firing as quickly as possible." To reduce stress on the shoulder joints, he teaches holding the bar with a shoulder-wide grip rather than a wide one.
- Begin with bar just above knees
- Grip bar at shoulder-width
- Explode by forcefully shrugging and fully extending hips, knees and ankles
- Pull bar up keeping it close to chest
- Drop under bar and catch it overhead with straight arms in athletic stance with knees bent