It’s Luke! He’s come to rescue us! Well, not exactly. But with Disney (which bought out Lucasfilm) announcing plans to release a new Star Wars movie every summer following the premiere of Episode VII, life has officially been restored to the once dormant franchise.
It was initially believed that the studio would be testing the waters with the JJ Abrams-helmed VII before heading into standalone films. But on Wednesday (April 17) at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, executives revealed that they are lining up the movies, so that fans will be treated to a new Episode or standalone each year after 2015.
Disney did not reveal which characters would receive spin-offs, but rumors suggest that the studio will explore creating standalones around Yoda, a young Han Solo and Boba Fett. CEO Bob Iger said that screenwriters Simon Kinberg (Sherlock Holmes) and Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back) are currently tasked with expanding the roles “derived from great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga,” according to Screen Rant.
Episode VII is thought to center around the lives of Luke, Leia and Han’s children, though much about the plot has not been divulged. Original actors Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) and Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) are confirmed to be reprising their roles. Harrison Ford (Hans Solo) is expected to make a return, although he has been cautious about calling it definite. “I don’t know if I’m going to be invited to the party, but we’ll see,” said Ford to Good Morning America anchor Elizabeth Vargas earlier this month.
Star Wars: Episode VII will hit theaters in 2015.
Photo: Lucasfilm Ltd