This recipe is simply splendid, filled with flavor and healthy ingredients that can easily be used as leftovers as well as you can make as much or as little as you like depending on how much chicken and rice you add to your skillet.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- 1.2 cup uncooked organic quinoa
- 1 can of black beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (drain the water out)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or chili fales
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- After cutting your chicken breasts into small pieces, season with salt and pepper.
- In a heavy skillet, heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat to saute chicken until it is browned. After it is browned, remove from pan and place onto a separate dish.
- In the same pan, heat your remaining olive oil and saute your brown rice and quinoa lightly for about 2 minutes. Stir in your beans, canned tomatoes (drain out the water), all seasonings, and chicken broth to bring to a boil.
- After it is brought to a boil, place your browned chicken on top (do not stir into the mixture).
- Simmer, covered until your rice and quinoa are tender, and the chicken is fully cooked, 20-25 minutes
- Remove from heat, and let stand and enjoy.
- You can choose to top with cheese or green onions as well.
Chicken is a lean protein, and when mixed with beans, you will be sure to feel fuelled and full! Feel free to modify this recipe to customize it for you and your family. Add in red or green peppers, avocado and your favorite cheese.