STACK Exercise of the Week helps you improve your overall sports performance—including strength, speed, conditioning and flexibility.
Explosive Mini-Hurdle Start
Who Does It
Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals QB
Sports Performance Benefits
Stepping over the mini-hurdle reinforces a high knee drive and a long stride, so you can put more force into the ground and accelerate faster. It also helps you maintain a forward lean position, which is optimal for driving backward into the ground.
- Assume a three-point stance with a mini-hurdle positioned about 6 inches in front of your forward foot.
- Explode out of your stance, drive your rear leg forward and step over the mini-hurdle.
- Sprint for three to four strides.
Sets/Reps: 1×4 with hurdle; 1×4 without hurdle
- Drive your foot into the ground to propel your body forward.
- Create momentum by not leaning back
- Stay low and maintain a forward lean.