Luka Doncic, “The best European NBA prospect of the 21st Century,” has drawn comparisons to Gordon Hayward due to his size and overall play style and Ricky Rubio due the production he has shown oversees at such a young age.
He is already projected to be a top-five pick in next year’s NBA Draft, and whether it’s fair or not the hype is there.
Now this is a small sample size and will by no means be an in-depth scouting report of Doncic, but here is a brief rundown of who he is and what about his game has scouts excited.
Born: February 28, 1999 in Ljubljana, Slovenia (Age: 18)
Weight: 218 lbs
Team: Real Madrid
Stats: 7.8 PPG, 4.3 REB, 3.1 AST, .446 FG%, .347 FG%, .819 FT%, 19.9 MIN
- While Doncic may not have the most eye-popping numbers, his hype has been built in part due to the fact that he is competing in what is largely regarded as the second-best professional basketball league in the world, the Spanish ACB league. As an 18-year-old who became the third youngest player to debut in the league at 16 years and two months old, earning playing time and producing respectable numbers against the level of talent he faces makes his experience significant.
- For a point guard or combo guard standing at 6-foot-7, his size could create mismatches, allow him to see over defenders for passes, use his length against smaller guards defensively and on the boards, and help him finish plays around the rim.
- Doncic has displayed great vision and willingness to pass, especially out of the pick and roll. His passing ability is what has drawn scouts to label him as a playmaker.
- While his shooting numbers aren’t elite per se, he has shown the confidence and ability to knock down shots off both the catch and the dribble, making him a threat to score from the perimeter.
Crafty Scoring Arsenal
- His ball-handling ability and footwork have made him a threat to score in the midrange and around the rim by using dribble moves and fakes to get an open shot for himself.
[youtube video=”uu_Ejkd8N8E” /]
[youtube video=”sZ3HnfgwfEo” /]